Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I say it's my birthday

Well, that's not strictly true, but "I say yesterday was my birthday" lacks a certain je ne sais quoi. It's true, though. I wore purple tights. I saw "The Way, Way Back" and indulged my now sixteen-year crush on Sam Rockwell. My parents came with me I think mostly because I invited them, though it's possible they also have crushes on Sam Rockwell. They probably do now, anyway. It's a pretty great movie.

Later, I got to have fancy pizza (mine had squash blossoms) in the company of friends I've known for about 25 years. (Sheesh) There was a water view and an extravagant sunset. By special request, the manager changed the music from the all-reggae station and I am now indebted to him. (Have we discussed how much I hate reggae? It makes me feel like punching strangers. Maybe you have to be stoned to enjoy it?)

And...there was bocce ball!

(Are you secretly in love with me? Well, just in case, if you're trying to win me over, invite me to play bocce ball.) I won. They assure me it was a legit victory, not a birthday chivalry victory. Then we went on an ankle-breaking (wrong shoes) but spectacular walk along the Sausalito waterfront when--birthday miracle--the view of San Francisco was not obscured by fog, nor was a damp, frigid wind blowing up my skirt. Sure, there was a rat that kind of reared out of a trash can as we passed and incited a modicum of terror, but we weren't bitten and, consequently, we don't have rabies now. And isn't that the best gift of all?


I feel lucky.